Friday, March 4, 2011

February in the Canadian Rockies







Well, being in the Canadian Rockies, near Nordegg, in February was very very cold. It was beyond my cold tolerance photographing in that area. What I have learned is that it's necessary to have the best equipment because quite a few of the eight people on the Darwin Wiggett Winter Magic tour suffered from equipment failure, also there were frostbite issues because at times we had to expose fingers to change lenses or make adjustments; my Really Right Stuff ballhead never failed me, even at -35C...my Canon 5D also never failed to operate..many of the others had issues with other brands of ballhead; Arca swiss heads did freeze up. I feel that my images are not as good as they could have been because all I could focus on was keeping warm or getting somewhere warm: a half hour was about it for me tolerating the extreme temperatures...my new 15mm f2.8 fisheye lens from Canon was amazing..took some great shots that are very unusual yet interesting...glad to be back home again and warmer...changing the filters on wide-angle was a real challenge; just using my hands became challenging as the moment they were exposed to weather they were freezing.

No comments: